Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reality TV

There's not much people won't do for money. What are some crazy things you have seen people do for money? They would stop at nothing to win a prize.
Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

What are you willing to do in the "reality show" of your own life to win the Heavenly prize (the only prize that will last)?
Are you willing to sell all you have to receive it?
Matthew 7:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
Are you willing to follow Jesus who has no place to lay his head?
Matthew 8:19-21 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
So, now you are wondering what the cost of discipleship is?
EVERYTHING.
Luke 14:33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.
What is everything? Is everything family? Jesus gave up his family.
Mark 3:31-35 31Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. 32A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you." 33"Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked. 34Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! 35Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."
Is everything rest? Jesus gave up rest to show God's love to others.
Is everything the right to mourn the loss of a dear friend and family member? Jesus did that when he lost John the Baptist. (Matthew 14)
Is everything giving up your rights to freedom and worldly pursuits? Paul did that.
Philippians 3:7-9 7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.
Paul counted EVERYTHING loss compared to knowing Christ. He was being groomed to be the next pope of their day, but counted it all loss to know Christ and share him in a more personal way.
Do you see the cost? Do you want this Heavenly prize? Is Heaven worth EVERYTHING to you? If you want to talk more about what your EVERYTHING is let us know. That's what our personal Bible studies are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers